COLLEGE OF THE OPEN BIBLE Institute
B I B L E
COLLEGE @ HOME
How Should Christian Women Dress? This Question Comes From A Concerned Christian Woman... What should a Christian women wear ? If what she has on is in modesty is that enough? Or does she need to only wear dresses or skirts? Please give me some insight for today's world. Thank you and God bless. Susan R. Dallas, TX
First and foremost... women should know that dressing is a form of language that communica tes. The important question is: what is one communicating through their dressing? How you address your inward person will determine how you dress the outward person. Inwardly, a Christian woman desires to be godly or Christ-like (1 Peter 3).
A women should dress in a manner that does not draw attention to herself in a physical sense. This is often difficult for many women due to the fact that many women want to be noticed. A godly women is always concerned with bringing glory to God by virtue of her example and her expression in dressing.
How we dress our bodies must be governed by the Word of God. The Bible frowns upon dressing that brings self-advertisement. Our outward dress implicates what we stress inwardly.
Our dress must reflect the glory of God and not our desire for flattery. We live in a world that fosters seduction and the liberty of vain imagination (Genesis 6:5). Our physical and spiritual dress must reflect the likeness of Jesus Christ if we intend to glorify God. Simply put... don't wear clothing that is seductive and encourages flirtation and lust. (Does the Bible prohibit women from wearing pants? The answer is... Click Here)
WE ARE READY TO HELP!
This Question Comes From A Christian Woman In Chicago: "Recently I read how that jewelry and fancy clothing is sinful. Could you please help me understand what the apostle Peter meant in 1 Peter 3:2-5."
The apostle Peter said:
"While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price..."
1. What Really Matters - What is important is God's will and glory in and on the inward person.
2. What Real Manners Are - The manner of your outward apparel, attitude, and actions are very revealing of the inward. Are your manners reflecting carnality or the glory of God?
1. Do not allow your outward appearance draw attention to the desires of the flesh. If you are going to where jewelry, makeup, and different sorts of apparel ( which Peter does not prohibit), it should never draw attention to itself or you.
2. Your manner of dress and accessories should not draw attention to sensual implications. This is essential.
3. Avoid wearing anything that sets you apart from others because of its great expense or gross expressions
4. Avoid adornment that makes you look foolish or silly.
5. Determine that you will adorn the inner person with the character of Christ. This is important because it establishes the manner of life that pleases God.
6. Avoid a negligence or sloppy and careless forms of adornment. Not to do so will leave your testimony suspect.
All of the above summarizes Peter's concern. What really matters to you will be reflected in your manners. If you are concerned with bringing glory to God, your manners will be Christ-like. If your concerned with outward appearance for the sake of attention, your manners will foster an appeal for evil.
Sincerely, Dr. Arthur Belanger