COLLEGE OF THE OPEN BIBLE
B I B L E
COLLEGE @ HOME
Doctrine of The Trinity. When we rightly divide the word of truth, it becomes obvious that there is only one God, but in the unity of the Godhead there are three eternal and coequal Persons equal in attributes. God the Father, God The Son, and God The Holy Spirit.
1. The Godhead (the Trinity) is self existent. This is to say that the Trinity exists because they exists. They are not dependent upon anything or anyone for their thoughts (Romans 11:33,34), their will (Romans 9:19; Ephesians 1:5), their power (Psalm 115:3), or their counsel (Psalm 33:10,11).
2. The Trinity is self sufficient. This attribute is closely connected to the attribute of self existence, but carries it a step further. This means the Trinity has never had in eternity past, nor can ever have in the ages to come, a single need for which their own divine nature has not already provided (Psalm 50:10,12).
3. The Trinity is eternal. Simply defined, this means the Trinity is absolutely free from the tyranny of time. In the Trinity there is no past or future, but one always and never ending present. God is neither conditioned nor confined by time. See Deuteronomy 33:27 and note especially John 8:56,57. Jesus did not say before Abraham was, I was, but, before Abraham was, I am. (v.58).
4. The Trinity is infinite. The Trinity has no limitations. The Trinity is bounded only by their own nature and will (see Jeremiah 23:24).
5. The Trinity is omnipresent. The omnipresence of the Trinity thus means that everywhere, everything is at the same time before the presence of God. Read Psalm 139:7-12
6. The Trinity is omnipotent (all powerful). Meaning God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit can do anything if it can be done and if it does not contradict His own nature.
WE ARE READY TO HELP!
7. Trinity is omniscient (all knowing). God possesses (without prior discovery of facts) complete and universal knowledge of all things past, present, and future. This includes not only the actual, but also the possible. This total and immediate knowledge is based on the Trinity’s eternality. Psalm 147:5.
8. The Trinity is Sovereign. This means that the Godhead is the absolute and sole ruler in the universe. To be truly sovereign demands that one have the total freedom, power, knowledge, wisdom and determination to carry out a predetermined course of action. God possesses all these in infinite measure and is thus sovereign.
9. The Trinity is holy. Without a doubt the most prominent attribute of God as presented by both Old and New Testament Scriptures is the holiness of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Holy is the way God is. To be holy, He does not conform to a standard. God is the Standard! He is absolutely holy with an infinite, incomprehensible fullness of purity that is incapable of being other than it is. Because God is Holy, all His attributes are holy; that is, whatever we think of as belonging to God must be thought of as holy! In the Bible, God underlines His holiness by the following:
a. The moral law (Ten Commandments: Exodus 10:10-25).
b. The spiritual law (Feasts and offerings: Exodus 35 - 40)
c. The ceremonial law (diet, sanitation, medical, etc: Lev. 11- 15)
10. The Trinity is faithful. God’s faithfulness refers to His self loyalty and to that of His entire creation. He will not (indeed, cannot) change His character nor fail to perform all He has promised. God’s faithfulness is seen in many areas. Here are but a few:
a. In times of temptation - 1 Corinthians 10:13
b. In chastening His children - Psalm 119:75
c. In forgiving our sins - 1 John 1:9
d. In answer our prayer - Psalm 143:1
e. In keeping the saved saved. Philippians 1:6
In Scriptural summary of the Trinity:
a. The Father Is God - John 6:44,46; 1 Peter 1:2
b. The Son Is God - Isaiah 9:6; John 1:1; 1 Timothy 3:16
c. The Spirit Is God - Acts 5:3,4; Hebrews 9:14
There is only one God, but in the unity of the Godhead there are three eternal and coequal Persons, the same in substance, but distinct in subsistence.
Sincerely, Dr. Arthur Belanger
Call Us. (864) 607-5200
College of The Open Bible - 330 East Coffee Street - Greenville, South Carolina 29601 - Copyright © All rights reserved.